Monday 23 February 2009

A Guide To Massage Therapy Equipment

There is nothing better than a good massage as my profile suggests! We all come home after long days at work with tight necks and backs, whether we realise it or not. Then we sit in a chair on the computer at home or watch TV - again tightening our back muscles. Not only does this make us sore and stressed, but if you let it continue you could end up with a back injury that could last for weeks - or even longer.

Types Of Massage Therapy Equipment

First of all a story before we get into massage beds, chairs etc. A few years ago I could feel that I was beginning to get a tight back and neck, yet I did nothing about it. I was studying for exams at the time so didn't have time to worry about my back - all I knew was that I had exams in a few weeks and getting a massage wasn't on the revision timetable!

If I had paid just one visit to a massage therapist then I could have avoided all the problems that ensued. Needless to say, I ended up getting a back injury> Luckily it was after exams, but I had weeks of a sore back and being barely able to move. It was very frustrating!

Now if you're already a massage therapist you probably already knew all this! Here are some of the massae equipment that is available at the moment:

  • The main one is the massage table. These help make giving massages so much easier for both you and the patient. You need to think carefully about what you are going to use it for before you take any drastic moves on buying one. For example if you have your own office then you may want to consider getting a non-mobile massage table that has extra features such as being able to electronically be raised or lowered. If you're always doing massages in different places though, you'll need a table that can be folded up and packed away into the car for easy use.
  • Another piece of massage therapy equipment is the massage chair. These allow you to put the patient in positions that a table won't allow, and should be able to fit onto any desk or table so is seen as more of a complement than a stand alone piece of equipment.
In the next article I'll be talking more about massage chairs and how they can help you to give your patients the best possible treatment.

Remember to research the kind of table that you want. If you need a fold-away table then make sure the one you buy is capable of doing that or you may run into problems later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment